October 16, 2023
Tom's Christmas Bundt Cake
Get into the festive spirit with this Christmas classic, featuring the Soffritto Professional Bake 24cm Classic Bundt Pan.
- 15g unsalted butter to grease
- 250g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste or 2 teaspoons extract/essence
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 260g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 200g sour cream
- 100g full cream milk
- 15 drops red food dye
- 15 drops green food dye
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- Zest of one lemon, very finely grated
- 200g pure icing sugar, sifted
Fresh cherries or Summer fruits, to garnish
Back to blog
- Preheat oven to 170c and use your fingers to rub 15g butter into the Soffritto Professional Bake Classic Bundt Pan (24cm) to grease.
- Cream 250g butter and sugar using a stand mixer or electric beaters for approximately five minutes, or until very light and white in colour.
- Beat eggs in one at a time, making sure to fill incorporate between each addition, then add vanilla and almond extract. Beat until fully combined.
- Sift flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Combine and whisk sour cream and milk together in a second separate bowl.
- Add one third of the dry mix to the creamed butter, sugar and eggs, and beat until just combined.
- Add half the wet ingredients to the cake mix and beat until just combined.
- Add another third of the dry ingredients and beat until just combined, then the remaining wet ingredients and beat until just combined, then the final quantity of dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Scrape down bowl and make sure all flour is incorporated.
- Remove two thirds of a cup of the mixture and place in a clean bowl. Add the red food colouring and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Remove another two thirds of a cup of the mixture and place in a second clean bowl. Add the green food colouring and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Add half of the uncoloured cake mix to the prepared tin and smooth. Add the green-coloured cake mix on top of the uncoloured cake mix in the tin, then place the red-coloured cake mix on top, distributing the mix as evenly as possibly. Add the remaining uncoloured cake mix into the tin and smooth to cover the coloured cake mixes. Use a bamboo skewer to create some swirls in the mix.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven, allow to stand for 2 minutes, then invert onto a cooking rack. Allow to cool completely.
- For the icing, add a couple of teaspoons of sour cream at a time to the lemon zest and icing, mixing to incorporate between each addition, until consistency is thick but flows slowly when lifted with a spoon. Thin with a little bit of water if necessary.
- Spoon icing evenly over the cake and allowed to drip down and over the sides. Allow to stand for one hour.
- Garnish with fresh cherries or Summer fruits of choice!