April 18, 2023
Turkey with a Lemon Sage and Thyme Butter
Serve the crowd pleasing Turkey with a Lemon Sage and Thyme Butter at your next dinner party!
Recipe from @whatspruecooking
Preparation time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- Whole turkey
- 100g butter, softened
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs thyme, chopped
- ¼ cup sage, chopped
- 2 tbs lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 tsp chicken stock
- 1 tbs plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
Back to blog
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a large pan with a rack at the base of the pan.
- Place the butter, garlic, chopped herbs and lemon zest into a bowl and mix to combine.
- Using your hands, rub the herbed butter under the skin of the turkey, being careful not to break the skin.
- Cut the lemon in half and place both halves inside the turkey. This helps to prevent the turkey drying out. You can use a stuffing instead of the lemon, if preferred.
- Tie up the legs of the turkey, using cooking twice, to keep the lemon inside.
- Rub the outside of the turkey with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Put turkey into prepared pan and cook for ~40-45 minutes per kg of bird.
- To check if the turkey is cooked, insert a skewer and the juices should run clear. If still pink in colour, cook for a bit longer.
- Once cooked, remove the turkey from the oven and place onto another tray, cover will foil and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes
- While the meat is resting, make the gravy but skimming off the excess fat of the juice remaining in the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and stock, with about ½ a cup of the liquid from the meat, until there are no lumps. Return this to the pan and mix to combine.
- Place the pan over medium heat and allow to thicken, stirring occasionally. Simmer until desired consistency, or add some water to thin down.
- Slice the turkey and serve with gravy and cranberry sauce