April 28, 2023
Make birthdays fun and colourful with the five layer rainbow cake, featuring the Soffritto Professional Bake 5 Layer Non Stick Cake Pan Set 23cm.
- 680g cake flour
- 680g white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5 large egg whites (room temp)
- 180ml canola oil
- 500ml buttermilk (room temp)
- 340g softened, unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Back to blog
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare your Soffritto's 5 Layer Cake Pan Set by placing a round piece of baking paper in the bottom of each of the pans for easy removal.
- Combine half of the buttermilk with the canola oil together and set aside. Next, whisk together the remaining buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract together, set aside. Sift together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and gently combine.
- Add the softened butter to the dry ingredient and using a stand mixer or hand mixer combine on low speed setting until the mixture resembles course sand (about 30 seconds). Add the buttermilk and oil mixture, combining on a low speed setting until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase the speed to medium and allow the cake batter to combine further for 2 minutes.
- Scrape down your bowl and reduce speed to low, adding your egg/milk mixture in three separate batches, allowing each batch to mix in well (about 15 seconds per addition). Scrape down the sides of the bowl again and make sure everything has incorporated.
- Divide your batter into 5 bowls (approx. 425 grams per bowl)
- Colour each of the bowls with your selected food colouring (TIP: use rainbow colours or use your own combinations). The amount of colouring drops needed will differ depending on your chosen colours, start with a small amount and continue to add until you get your desired colour.
- Bake your cake layers for 18-20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake layers cool for at least 15 minutes inside the pan before removing them to cool further on a cooling rack.
- Layer with a simple white buttercream frosting or your chosen colour frosting to serve.