Roast Chicken and Hasselback Potatoes
Roast Chicken and Hasselback Potatoes are classic meal combo. Just add our favourite side dish.
Cooking time: approximately 1hr 30minutes
- 250gms butter (room temperature)
- 1 roasted head of garlic, cloves squeezed out and mashed
- Lemon thyme
- 2 chickens
- 6 potatoes
- Lemon rind of 2 lemons
- Wash and peel potatoes. Place potatoes on 2 parallel chopsticks and cut downwards slices ensuring that the chopsticks stop the cut going all the way through. The potatoes must still be intact with thinly sliced tops. Drizzle olive oil, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Remove the rind from the lemons and mix with butter and lemon thyme leaves.
- Add salt and pepper and garlic mash.
- Gently insert fingers under the skin of the chicken and smooth the butter mix all over and push towards the legs and wings.
- Any excess butter mix can be rubbed over the skin of the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes prepared earlier along the sides of the chickens in the Bessemer 40cm roaster and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook chickens and potatoes for 20mins on 200C and then drop the temperature to 180C and cook for a further 1hr-1hr 15 mins.
- Garnish with fresh lemon thyme sprigs and serve with potatoes and greens.
A good rule for cooking roast chicken is: 10 minutes at 220C then 20 minutes for every 500g at 180C until the internal temperature is 75C or until juices run clear.
Used to make this recipe: Bessemer Roaster 40cm TealBack to blog