Spiced Citrus Glazed Ham
Citrus and spices combine for a sweet glaze that perfectly compliments this roasted ham.
Preparation Time: 120 minutes
- 1 leg or shoulder of ham
- Whole cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chinese five spice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 orange (finely grated)
- 1 tbs marmalade
- 1/2 cup of water
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven or your BBQ to 150oC.
- Remove the skin of the ham, leaving the fat intact.
- Score the fat in a criss-cross pattern, being careful not to cut the meat.
- Place a clove in the centre of each diamond and place the ham into a baking dish, ideally with a rack underneath. Add 1/2 cup of water to the base of the dish to prevent the ham drying out.
- To make the glaze, place all ingredients into a small saucepan and heat to a simmer. Allow to simmer until the glaze starts to thicken slightly.
- Brush a layer of glaze onto the ham and then put the dish into the oven or BBQ, depending on where you’re cooking it, and allow it to cook for at least 1.5 hours, basting every 20-30 minutes.
TIP: If using a BBQ, cook the ham over indirect heat – turn the burners directly under the ham off or place a foil tray and trivet underneath the baking dish.Back to blog